Thursday, September 28, 2017

The Forest


I fell in love with you

On the day half the forest disappeared


In this little patch of woods behind the bikepath

Back when the forest was complete

Right on what is now the border between tall slim trees

And stubby muddy expanses

Was the place I first felt the Mother

God

Reach out her hand to soothe

Another broken heart of mine

Many years ago

As I lay with my face pressed to the forest floor


Now when I call on Her to guide me

Again through the terrible love for

A disappearing man


I remember letting you, a stranger, see my tears

For the violated forest

Naively assuming that men honour forests and hearts

forever


The things that disappear through men’s fears and women’s tears

The sacred slaughtered groves


I call on Her still

She is far greater than the stranger by the road

Or the clear cut strewn with garbage

She is the new green leaves
And the sky in the spring
And -

No comments: